Monday, May 4, 2009

Birthday Garden

Okay, I have several pairs of pictures -- the first ones are from yesterday or the day before, and the second ones are from today. You wouldn't believe the difference. :)


My red tulips yesterday.


Today they look like a Georgia O'Keeffe painting.


Don't they?


The flowerbed looks so naked because the cedar is trimmed nicely, and I had just weeded. Don't worry, I'll fill it in. :)


Ditto for this picture. Look at the tiny little coralbells coming back up!


You can kind of see the buds on my bleeding heart. I have some (probably very blurry) closeups too.


This one actually came out remarkably well.


Wow! I guess I'm better than I thought.


Hostas sneaking up, curled up, out of the ground. (Yesterday.)


Today they're uncurling even more!


Isn't nature cool?


Grape hyacinth. So adorable!


Today they're a little taller!


Saturday I transplanted my main Kerry sedum to sit next to the serrated sedum.


Now it lives with its own kind because...


... my newest iris, Firebreather, needed to go next to his own kind.


Here's my new lily bed right after we'd put the rocks in place and planted just a few things...


... and now it has a whole line of Stella d'Oros in front!


Lucky Strike!


Today they're both open!


Yesterday my short little purple tulip was thinking about opening...


... and today it did!


Today I brought all these babies home with me, and tomorrow they'll go in the ground and you'll get a whole 'nother round of pictures. :)


This little guy looks just like an Indian paintbrush!


The return of the highlighter dahlias!


Two slightly different-colored tuberous begonias, to go in a pot together.


I think this is an Asiatic lily coming up. (Along with a not-so-subtle reminder to my sweet sister that my Dirigible Plums garden marker is bye-bye...) Yes, that's a broken robin's egg -- we found it in the middle of the yard and I thought it was so pretty it would be a shame to crush it.


I'm pretty sure this is my Sarah Bernhardt peony peeking out of the soil.


I finally trimmed back the old, dead branches from my Russian sage. I think it's happy I did.


Little columbine buds! The foliage looks so much like a geranium.


There's barely any pink left on my Lysimachia.


I just love these Lucky Strikes!


My pale pink Asiatic lily is multiplying! I can't wait to see all four stalks!


The first of what is now two Liberated Easter Lilies.


In other news, today it was finally warm enough in the house that we needed to open the windows. The cats loved it. Elphie spent a lot of the afternoon kicking Ginger out of this open window whenever Ginger dared to occupy it.


She then had this strange little semi-seizure, which I think must have been inspired by a bug.


Which she then presumably caught. And may or may not have eaten.


And here are the girls snuggling (involuntarily) with Dan.


See how much they love it?


Cute!

1 comment:

Quite Contrary said...

Dan made this hilarious comment when looking at my blog that in the first picture Elph looks like a warthog (body only), and in the second picture she looks like a kangaroo!